Gluten-Free Shaved Squash Salami Salad Recipe
This gluten-free winter salad is the perfect way to get your healthy eating back on track after the holidays.
Serves 4 to 5.
When peeled ever-so thin, butternut squash is a surprising addition to winter salads. Briefly placing the shavings in hot water makes them more tender.
1 small butternut squash, peeled, halved and seeded
1 large carrot, peeled
6 cups roughly chopped winter greens, such as kale or Swiss chard
⅓ cup raw squash seeds or pumpkin seeds
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 large apple, thinly sliced 6 ounces gluten-free salami or summer sausage, chopped
1½ cups cooked or canned navy beans (rinsed and drained if canned)
3 ounces soft goat cheese, crumbled, optional
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or pumpkin seed oil
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar or champagne vinegar
1½ teaspoons grainy Dijon mustard
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1. Using a flat vegetable peeler or mandoline, thinly shave squash and carrot.
2. Bring a kettle full of water to boil. Place shaved squash and greens in a heatproof bowl, cover with boiled water and let soak 5 minutes. Drain and let cool.
3. Meanwhile, toast seeds in a dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant and lightly browned, shaking the pan often to prevent burning. Let cool.
4. In a large bowl, toss together squash, carrot, greens, bell pepper and apple. Divide among serving plates and top with an equal amount of seeds, salami, navy beans and goat cheese, if using.
5. To make dressing, whisk together olive oil, white wine vinegar, mustard, shallot, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Drizzle over salad.