Gluten-Free Quinoa Noodle & Veggie Salad
A delicious blend of roasted vegetables coupled with orange zest makes this a hearty, satisfying dish. Quinoa pasta adds flavor and protein.
1 (8-ounce) box quinoa rotelle pasta
6 large plum tomatoes, each cut into 6 to 8 wedges
1 large onion, halved lengthwise, cut into thin wedges
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
-Juice and zest of 1 orange, divided
-Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
-Fresh basil, cut into thin strips (about ¼ cup)
½ cup halved, pitted Kalamata olives
½ cup fresh feta cheese crumbles or dairy-free
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water 6 to 7 minutes or until tender but still firm to bite. Rinse in cool water and drain well. Set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 450°F. Oil 2 rimmed baking sheets with nonstick spray.
3. Spread tomato wedges on one sheet and onion wedges on the second sheet.
4. Combine 2 tablespoons olive oil, garlic and juice and rind of one orange. Drizzle half over vegetables on each sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in preheated oven until vegetables are very tender and brown around edges, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes for onions and 45 minutes for tomatoes. Cool slightly. Set aside.
5. Transfer pasta to a large serving bowl. Add roasted tomato and onion mixtures, basil and olives to pasta. Stir gently. Add cheese, 2 tablespoons orange juice and olive oil. Toss. Add more salt and pepper, to taste.