Gluten-Free Quinoa Chocolate Truffles Recipe
Quinoa gives chocolate that special crunch bar taste we all love - except it's gluten-free and healthy!
This gluten-free, allergy-friendly treat is packed with protein and antioxidants. So go ahead and eat a couple of them. They’re undoubtedly good for you.
½ cup quinoa (pre-washed or rinsed very well)
¾ cup water
¾ cup dark chocolate or semi-sweet baking chips*
6 tablespoons orange juice or juice from 1 orange
1. Add quinoa and ¾ cups water to a pot and bring to a boil. Then lower heat so water is gently simmering and cover the pot. Cook until liquid is completely absorbed and quinoa is a bit dry, 12 to 15 minutes. Take pot off the heat, fluff with a fork and let quinoa cool.
2. Meanwhile, lay out 10 mini-silicone or paper cupcake liners.
3. In a double boiler (or a microwave), melt together chocolate and orange juice. Stir to make sure chocolate doesn’t burn.
4. Add cooled quinoa to chocolate, stirring so all quinoa pearls are evenly mixed in.
5. Scoop about 2 tablespoons chocolate quinoa into each liner and place them in the freezer for 15 minutes to harden.
6. When ready to eat, pry truffles out of cups and serve immediately. Keep refrigerated in a sealed container until ready to eat.
Each serving contains 112 calories, 6g total fat, 4g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 1mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 1g sugars, 3g protein, 7 Est GL.
Excerpted with permission from Sodium Girl (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt) by Jessica Goldman Foung.
For Coconut Quinoa Chocolate Truffles, add 2 to 3 tablespoons unsweetened coconut to chocolate-quinoa mixture before it cools.
*TIP Allergy-friendly chocolate chips are available from Enjoy Life Foods.