Gluten-Free Pineapple Upside Down Cake
This fast and easy recipe, prepared and baked in the microwave in just five minutes, uses a quick yellow cake batter poured atop a brown sugar and pineapple base. Invert it onto a plate after baking and enjoy! It can be made dairy free and egg free with good results. See instructions below.
1 pineapple slice
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
Several raisins or maraschino cherry, if tolerated
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon canola oil
3 tablespoons plain low-fat yogurt*
1/16 teaspoon salt
2½ tablespoons white rice flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
1½ tablespoons sugar
⅛ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Grease one 2-cup ramekin or straight-sided microwave-safe bowl.
2. Make the base by placing the pineapple slice, brown sugar and raisins in the bottom of prepared ramekin or bowl. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, briefly beat the egg until it’s almost uniform in color. Add remaining ingredients and mix well to combine.
4. Pour batter over base, tapping ramekin to level batter.
5. Microwave cake on high for 2 minutes. Cake will rise and then settle a little during baking.
6. Gently remove from dish, invert, and cool.
Each serving contains 248 calories, 12g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 107mg cholesterol, 244mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 5g protein.
*For Dairy-Free, Egg-Free Pineapple Upside Down Cake, replace the yogurt with dairy-free yogurt and replace the egg with 1 tablespoon arrowroot. Cake will not rise as high as egg-filled version but it is dense, moist and delicious.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Gluten Free in Five Minutes (DaCapo/Life Long Books) by Roben Ryberg.