Gluten-Free Flour Tortillas
MAKES 6-8 TORTILLAS
1 cup white rice flour
⅓ cup potato starch
⅓ cup tapioca flour
⅓ cup fava bean flour
2 tsps xanthan gum
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp sugar
1¼ tsp salt
2 TBs vegetable or other shortening
¾ to 1 cup warm water
1. Combine all of the dry ingredients, then cut in or work in the shortening using a pastry blender or two knives or your hand.
2. Add the warm water, starting with 3/4 cup and mix well.
3. Continue to add water until a soft, cohesive dough is formed.
4. Heat a comal, tapa or griddle to medium heat. Then, form a ball of dough into a flattened disk, cupping the outside edges a bit to form a round.
5. Using a bollilo or rolling pin, roll into a round disk about ⅛ inch thick and about 8 inches in diameter or to your preference.
6. Bake one at a time on a hot griddle until the surface bubbles. Turn only once, the first side should have brown flecks.
7. Bake until the second side has slightly browned - should brown in a very short time.
8. Keep warm in a tortilla keeper or wrapped in a cloth until served. Note: Will freeze in a sealed plastic bag for up to three months.