Gluten-Free Savory Sausage and Pear Stuffing Recipe
This gluten free stuffing recipe is decadent and juicy. If making separate from your turkey, cook a day before Thanksgiving.
Italian sausage, fresh herbs and pears form a winning flavor combination in this gluten-free stuffing - a must for Thanksgiving. It’s also great with roast pork, chicken or wild game. If baked outside the turkey, it’s best when made the day before.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
1 cup celery, diced
1 pound gluten-free sausage (mild Italian, chicken apple or turkey), casing removed
1 tablespoon fresh sage, finely chopped, or 2 teaspoons dried sage
2 teaspoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
¼ cup Italian flat-leaf parsley, chopped
2 teaspoons salt, more to taste
½ teaspoon pepper, more to taste
6-7 cups cubed gluten-free bread
1 cup gluten-free low-sodium chicken broth, pear juice or combination
2 Bosc pears, cored and chopped
1 egg, optional
1. Over medium heat in a large saucepan or stockpot, sauté olive oil and onions until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add celery and cook for another 5 minutes.
2. Add sausage, breaking it up into small, bite-size pieces, and cook until it browns. Add sage, thyme, basil, parsley, salt and pepper.
3. Add bread cubes to the pan. Then add chicken broth, pear juice or combination. Cook uncovered over low heat, stirring often until flavors combine, about 5 minutes.
4. Add chopped pears to the pan, stirring to combine with bread mixture. Remove from stove and let cool.
5. Transfer stuffing to a large baking dish, cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
6. About 2 hours before serving, remove stuffing from refrigerator and stir in egg, if desired, until well combined.
7. Cover stuffing and bake in 325°F preheated oven for 2 hours (alongside the turkey if there’s room). Baste stuffing periodically with turkey drippings. Remove cover for the last hour and let brown.
Each serving contains 277 calories, 13g total fat, 4g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 28mg cholesterol, 631mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 7g protein.
Living Without contributor Mary Capone (bellaglutenfree.com) is author of The Gluten-Free Italian Cookbook and creator of Bella Gluten-Free allergy-friendly baking mixes. To buy this cookbook, click here.