Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Raspberry Oat Squares
MAKES 20 SQUARES
Sweet and satisfying, these squares are packed with whole-grain nutrients from gluten-free oats, as well as from whole-grain teff, amaranth and brown rice flours. They can be made with an egg substitute with good results.
1 cup certified gluten-free rolled oats
¼ cup teff flour
¼ cup amaranth flour
¼ cup brown rice flour
¼ cup tapioca starch/flour
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter or dairy-free margarine, softened
½ cup packed brown sugar
1 large egg or ½ cup mashed ripe banana or 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
mixed with 1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup raspberry preserves
½ cup fresh raspberries, more if desired
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Line an 8-inch square pan with parchment paper, covering the bottom and sides of the pan.
2. In a medium bowl, use a fork to whisk together oats, teff, amaranth, brown rice flour, tapioca starch, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and xanthan gum. Set aside.
3. Using an electric mixer, beat butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg (or egg substitute) and vanilla extract and beat to combine. Gradually add flour mixture and continue mixing. Remove ⅓ cup batter and set aside for topping.
4. Press remaining batter into the bottom of prepared pan.
5. In a bowl, mix together raspberry preserves and fresh raspberries. Spread mixture over batter in pan.
6. Scatter clumps of reserved batter on top of the raspberry layer.
7. Place in preheated oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until topping is lightly browned. Cool completely and cut into squares.