Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Holiday Lemon Sugar Cookies
MAKES 36 COOKIES
This reader-favorite recipe may be the best sugar cookies you've ever eaten. Not too sweet with just the right amount of lemon. The dough holds up to any rolling pin. Perfect for the holidays, they can be cut into spooky shapes and decorated for Halloween. They can be made egg free with good results.
1¼ cups Mary’s All-Purpose Flour Blend
½ cup tapioca flour/starch
1-⅓ cup potato starch (not potato flour)
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter or dairy-free substitute, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg or egg-free substitute
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon gluten-free lemon extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, combine first five ingredients. Set aside.
3. In the large bowl of a mixer, combine butter and sugar and beat for 3 minutes until mixture is a pale yellow.
4. Add in egg, vanilla extract and lemon extract.
5. Add dry ingredients, slowly mixing until dough forms. Place bowl in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
6. Remove half the dough and roll out onto a lightly floured surface to ¼-inch thickness. Use star shapes or other cookie cutters to cut out cookies and place them on prepared cookie sheets. Reroll scraps of dough. If dough becomes too sticky, chill again. Repeat with second half of dough.
7. Bake in preheated oven 12 to 15 minutes until light brown. Remove and let cool thoroughly before handling and decorating.
Note: Gluten-free egg replacer is available from Ener-G Foods, ener-g.com.
MAKES 6 CUPS
A combination of white and brown rice flour lightens the texture of baked goods. For a more nutritious mix with lower glycemic index, use all brown rice flour, a total of 4 cups flour.
2 cups brown rice flour
2 cups white rice flour
½ cups potato starch (not potato flour)
⅔ cup tapioca starch/flour
Mix ingredients together. Store in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator until used.
Each serving contains 564 calories, 2g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 4mg sodium, 127g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 7g protein.
1½ cups confections’ sugar
1 large pasturized egg white or powdered egg
white mixed with water to equal 1 egg white
½ teaspoon lemon juice
½ teaspoon gluten-free lemon extract
- Food coloring
1. Beat sugar and egg white with electric beater.
2. Add lemon juice and lemon extract and beat until ingredients are incorporated.
3. Separate icing into small bowls and stir in a drop or two of different food coloring, as desired.
4. Chill icing until you’re ready to decorate cooled cookies. Spread icing on cookies, as desired.