Gluten-Free Cinnamon-Raisin English Muffins
This recipe was originally adapted from CIA graduate Dave DeCesare, chef/baker at Taste Budd’s Café in Red Hook, New York.
These English muffins look like quick-bread muffins, but they have the delicious flavor and texture of English muffins. They can be made dairy free and egg free, with great results.
MAKES 12 MUFFINS.
1¼ cup + 2 teaspoons potato starch (not potato flour)
¾ cup + 2 tablespoons brown rice flour
½ teaspoon guar gum
2 teaspoons salt*
¾ teaspoon instant dry yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
1 large egg*
1½ cups milk of choice* (cow, rice, soy, coconut, hemp, almond), warmed
4 tablespoons butter, melted, or dairy-free margarine, melted, or oil of choice
⅓ cup dark raisins
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a muffin tin with oil.
2. Combine potato starch, brown rice flour, guar gum, salt, dry yeast and sugar in large mixing bowl.
3. In separate bowl, combine egg (or egg substitute), milk and butter (or dairy-free substitutes).
4. Blend wet mixture into dry ingredients and combine until smooth.
5. Thoroughly mix in raisins. Gently swirl in cinnamon.
6. Scoop dough into prepared muffin tins.
7. Allow dough to proof in a warm, draft-free place for 30 to 45 minutes.
8. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until done.