Gluten-Free Chocolate Beer Cake
MAKES ONE 9-INCH BUNDT CAKE
The toasted, toffee-like notes of a gluten-free ale complement and enhance this cake without making it too rich or over-the-top sweet. The carbonation contributes to the light, airy structure of this cake, creating a confection that rivals any other. Top with Cream Cheese Frosting.
¾ cup sour cream or dairy-free sour cream replacement
2 large eggs or 3 teaspoons Ener-G egg replacer powder mixed with 4 tablespoons warm water
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract (not teaspoon)
1 cup gluten-free ale or beer
8 tablespoons unsalted butter or dairy-free butter alternative
¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch alkalai processed)
2 cups granulated cane sugar
2 cups gluten-free all purpose flour blend of choice
1 teaspoon xanthan gum (omit if included in your flour blend)
1 tablespoon baking soda (not teaspoon)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch springform tube or bundt pan and dust lightly with gluten-free starch.
2. In a small bowl, whisk sour cream with eggs and vanilla.
3. Measure out 1 cup ale, letting the head settle to be sure your measurement is correct. Pour ale into a large saucepan. Add butter and heat over medium heat just until melted. Whisk in cocoa powder and sugar until smooth.
4. Add egg mixture to the saucepan mixture and whisk. Add flour blend, xanthan gum and baking soda and stir well to combine.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out fairly clean
6. Let cake cool in the pan on a rack for 15 minutes. Then invert cake to remove from pan onto a cake plate.
Serves 12. Each serving without frosting contains 333 calories, 12g total fat, 7g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 63mg cholesterol, 334mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 3g protein
Cream Cheese Frosting
MAKES ABOUT 1½ CUPS
Spread this frosting on top of the cooled cake.
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese or dairy-free cream cheese replacement, room temperature
1 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
Up to 1/2 cup heavy cream, liquid soy or coconut creamer, or kefir
1. Whip cream cheese and sugar until smooth.
2. Slowly stir in only enough cream to make frosting a spreadable consistency.