Gluten-Free Coconut Oat Bran Bread
SERVES 8 TO 12
This quick bread has a chewy texture and a slightly nutty taste. Sprinkle additional oat bran on the top of the unbaked batter for a more interesting crust. For best flavor, bake the loaf until the top is golden brown and the edges are a bit crunchy. This recipe makes one 8½x4½-inch loaf or two 5½x3-inch mini loaves or 24 mini-muffins. It can be made with egg replacement; see instructions.
1 (15-ounce) box gluten-free yellow or vanilla cake mix (heaping 2 cups of mix)
¼ cup gluten-free oat bran or ¼ cup oat flour
¼ cup gluten-free coconut flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon|
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2 extra-large eggs*
-Zest of 1 medium lemon
1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
¾ cup unflavored milk of choice
1 cup raw seeds or roughly chopped nuts, toasted, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease one 8½x4½-inch loaf pan or two 5½x3-inch mini-loaf pans. Alternatively, place liners in a 24-count mini-muffin pan.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together cake mix, oat bran, coconut flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together oil, eggs, lemon zest and vanilla extract.
4. Stir milk into wet ingredients. Add wet ingredients to dry mixture, folding batter with a silicone spatula until ingredients are just combined. Fold in seeds, if using.
5. Scrape batter into prepared pan(s) or scoop about 2/3 full into mini-muffin cups.
6. Place in preheated oven. Bake the 8½x4½-inch loaf pan 30 minutes and then rotate the pan for even baking. Bake an additional 20 to 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick comes out without crumbs. Bake the mini-loaf pans for 30 minutes and then rotate the pans. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until a toothpick comes out without crumbs. Cool loaves in the pan for 5 minutes. Transfer loaves to a rack and cool completely. Bake mini-muffins 13 to 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out without crumbs. Cool in the pan for a few minutes and transfer to a rack to cool completely.
Each serving contains 269 calories, 14g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 37mg cholesterol, 239mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 15g sugars, 3g protein, 24Est GL.
*For Egg-Free Quick Bread, omit 2 eggs. Add ½ teaspoon baking powder to dry ingredients. Heat 6 tablespoons of applesauce mixed with 1 tablespoon water. Add 2 tablespoons flax meal. Stir well and allow to cool before adding to wet ingredients.