Apple Cranberry Christmas Pork Roast
This festive recipe is as elegant as it is delicious.
[Updated January 31, 2018]
Crown pork roast makes an impressive holiday display, yet it is budget friendly. Juicy, flavorful meat mingles with a tasty bread stuffing that's free of gluten and dairy.
SERVES 6 TO 8.
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
3 teaspoons salt, divided
1¼ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, divided
8 pound crown pork roast
8 cups gluten-free whole-grain bread, lightly toasted and cubed
2 Granny Smith apples, cored, peeled and finely chopped
½ cup butter or dairy-free alternative
1 cup diced onions
2 cups diced celery
2 cups fresh cranberries
½ cup sugar
¼ cup apple juice
¼ cup gluten-free chicken stock
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. In a small bowl, combine rosemary, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Rub entire roast thoroughly with rosemary mixture. Place pork roast in roasting pan, rib tips up.
3. Place bread cubes and apples in large bowl and set aside.
4. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat and sauté onions and celery until tender, about 10 minutes. Add cranberries and sugar, cooking until cranberries burst, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add cranberry mixture to bread mixture and stir in apple juice, chicken stock, 1 teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper and poultry seasoning. Mix until just blended.
5. Loosely fill the cavity of the pork roast with apple cranberry stuffing. (Spoon extra stuffing into a greased oven-proof dish and place in oven 30 minutes before roast is done.) Cover the stuffing and tips of the rib bones with foil. Place in preheated oven and bake 2 hours. Remove foil and cook for another 30 to 40 minutes, until stuffing browns slightly on top and internal temperature of pork reads 150°F on a meat thermometer.
6. Remove from oven and allow to rest 20 minutes before serving. After presenting at the dinner table, stuffing can be removed and placed in a bowl. Using a sharp knife, cut the roast into 1-rib servings.
TIP: Ask your butcher to trim and prepare the crown roast for you.