Gluten-Free Cherry Orange Scones
MAKES 8 SCONES
These light-textured scones are a great addition to a special brunch. Vary the recipe by adding the fruit zest and dried fruit of your choosing. For a larger gathering, divide scones in half before baking to make 16 mini-scones. This recipe can be made with egg replacement; see instructions below.
1½ cups brown rice flour
½ cup sweet rice flour or tapioca flour/starch
¼ cup potato starch (not potato flour)
2⅛ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon xanthan gum
¼ teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter or dairy-free alternative, chilled and chopped
4 tablespoons honey or 5 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon orange extract
Zest of 1 orange
½ cup heavy cream, coconut creamer or milk of choice, room temperature
½ cup dried cherries
Cinnamon sugar or favorite icing, for topping, optional
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a food processor, mix together brown rice flour, sweet rice flour, potato starch, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt. Pulse to combine.
3. Add chopped butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal.
5. Place dough onto a lightly floured cutting board. (Dough will be quite sticky.) Knead cherries into dough with a floured wooden spoon, spatula or your fingers. Form dough into a circle about 9-inches in diameter. (For mini-scones, make 2 circles about 4½ inches each.) Knead lightly, using the least amount of gluten-free flour needed. With a sharp knife, cut dough into 8 pie-shaped wedges. Sprinkle tops with cinnamon sugar, if desired.
6. Place scones in preheated oven and bake 12 to 15 minutes (10 to 12 minutes for mini-scones) or until scones turn a light golden brown. Do not overbake as scones will become dry.
Each scone contains 334 calories, 13g total fat, 9g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 68mg cholesterol, 190mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 9g sugars, 5g protein, 33Est GL.
For Egg-Free Scones, omit 2 eggs. Combine 2 tablespoons flax meal or ground chia seeds with 6 tablespoons warm unsweetened applesauce and 1 tablespoon hot water. Let cool. Add to recipe in Step 4 to replace 2 eggs.