MAKES 8 BARS
Great for breakfast or an afternoon snack, this recipe contains nutritious ingredients for a healthy energy bar. Make your own signature bar by adding your favorite dried fruit, nuts, seeds or spices.
½ cup dates, such as Medjool or Deglet Noor, chopped
¼ cup honey or maple syrup
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1 tablespoon coconut oil, grape seed oil or canola oil
1 egg white, optional
¼ cup coconut sugar or dark brown sugar
1½ cups gluten-free oats
1 tablespoon golden flax meal
¼ cup raisins, currants or sweetened dried cranberries
¼ cup sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds or nuts of choice, roughly chopped
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
-Pinch of sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Lightly grease an 8x8-inch pan or line it with parchment paper.
2. In a food processor with blade attachment, blend together dates, honey or syrup and sesame seeds. Pulse until mixture forms a smooth paste.
3. To make granola, whisk together oil, egg white (if using) and sugar in a medium bowl.
4. Add oats, stirring to coat.
5. Add flax meal, raisins, sunflower seeds, cinnamon, vanilla and salt, stirring until well combined.
6. Add date paste to granola, blending until paste is well incorporated.
7. Transfer mixture to prepared pan and press down evenly with hands or the back of a spatula.
8. Place in preheated oven and bake 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool before cutting.
Each bar contains 277 calories, 7g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 15mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate, 5g fiber, 26g sugars, 7g protein, 28Est GL.
TIP For a crispier bar, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and toast the granola mixture for 10 minutes in preheated oven before adding the date paste.