Gluten-Free Watermelon Gazpacho
A fresh and delicious take on gazpacho, this lovely summer soup has a tomato-free twist. If you’re allergic to nuts, omit the pistachios.
Gazpacho is traditionally tomato-based, but this gluten-free and vegan gazpacho recipe is made from refreshing watermelon instead. Cool down on hot summer days with this spicy and super fresh chilled soup!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Chill Time: 2 hours
MAKES 4 TO 6 SERVINGS.
¼ cup minced Vidalia onions
¼ cup boiling water
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 (3-pound) seedless watermelon, divided
1 English cucumber (about ¾ pound), peeled, divided
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and quartered, divided
¼ cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, more for garnish
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
¼ cup shelled, roasted, salted pistachios, minced, optional
1. In a small non-reactive bowl, combine onions, boiling water and vinegar. Set aside.
2. Roughly chop 3/4 of watermelon, cucumber and jalapeño pepper. Mince remainder of each. Mince half the basil leaves, leaving the rest whole.
3. Place chopped watermelon, chopped cucumber, chopped jalapeño pepper, whole basil leaves, lime juice, salt and cayenne pepper in a blender. Blend until smooth. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while the motor runs.
4. In a non-reactive bowl, combine blended ingredients with minced watermelon, cucumber, jalapeño pepper and minced basil. Stir in onion mixture.
5. Refrigerate 2 hours or until very cold.
6. Divide soup among serving bowls. Sprinkle with minced pistachios, if using, and additional basil for garnish.
Each serving contains 166 calories, 9g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 392mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 15g sugars, 2g protein, 7Est GL.
Author of three cookbooks, personal chef Simone Miller is founder of Zenbelly, a 100 percent gluten-free catering company in San Francisco that specializes in paleo cuisine. Miller is an expert at creating food that no one can tell is gluten-free. These recipes and photos were excerpted with permission from her newest cookbook, Paleo Soups & Stews: Over 100 Delectable Recipes for Every Season, Course and Occasion.