Gluten-Free Pumpernickel Bagels
Instant espresso and cocoa give these bagels a rich flavor. Try them toasted and topped with smoked salmon, if tolerated, and dairy-free cream cheese.
2 ¾ cups gluten-free Multi-Grain Flour Blend
¼ cup stone ground cornmeal
1 teaspoon salt
1½ teaspoons egg replacer
1 tablespoon xanthan gum
1 tablespoon yeast
2 teaspoons toasted caraway seeds
2 tablespoons molasses
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon gluten-free instant espresso or coffee
1 tablespoon Dutch process cocoa
1 ¼ cups warm water
Cornmeal, for dusting pan
Brown rice flour, for rolling bagels
1 teaspoon sugar
1. Line a baking pan or cookie sheet with parchment and sprinkle it with cornmeal. Put some brown rice flour on a second baking pan or cookie sheet.
2. Put Multi-Grain Flour Blend, cornmeal, salt, egg replacer, xanthan gum, yeast and caraway seeds into the bowl of a mixer and whisk together.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together molasses, cider vinegar, oil, instant espresso, cocoa and 1¼ cups warm water.
4. Using the paddle attachment of the mixer, slowly incorporate liquid mixture into dry ingredients. Add more warm water, if necessary, to create a smooth consistency. Mixture should be quite thick. Beat on medium-high speed for 3 minutes.
5. To shape the bagels, use a large spoon to scoop out some batter. Drop a spoonful on to the baking pan sprinkled with rice flour. Lightly roll the dough in the flour to coat it and then shape it into a ball. Flatten ball slightly and then using your index finger, create a hole in the center, large enough so that it won’t close up during rising and baking. Repeat with rest of the dough.
6. Place each bagel on the baking pan sprinkled with cornmeal. Lightly cover with an oiled piece of plastic wrap and place bagels in a warm place to rise, about 20 to 30 minutes.
7. When bagels have risen, bring a skillet of water to boil. Add 1 teaspoon sugar to water. (Sugar helps create a shiny crust.) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
8. Drop a few bagels into the boiling water. Simmer for 30 seconds, turn over and cook for another 30 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, remove bagels, draining off water, and put bagels back on the same baking pan. Once all bagels are boiled, bake them for 25 minutes in preheated oven. Cool on a rack.