Gluten-Free Molasses Pumpkin Pie
Enjoy the very essence of fall with this gluten-free pumpkin molasses pie recipe!
The gluten free pumpkin molasses filling is rich, flavorful and darker than a traditional pumpkin pie. This gluten free pumpkin pie recipe can be made dairy-free and with an egg replacement; see instructions below.
1 prepared gluten-free pie crust or 1 recipe Classic Flaky Pastry Crust, unbaked
1¼ cups canned pure pumpkin puree
½ cup brown sugar or finely ground coconut sugar
½ cup real maple syrup
2 tablespoons gluten free molasses
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
⅛ teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg
1 tablespoon cornstarch or arrow- root powder
2 large eggs + 1 yolk
1 cup canned light coconut milk or light cream
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Pumpkin Whipped Topping
1 cup whipping cream or dairy-free whipped topping
¼ cup canned pure pumpkin puree
1 tablespoon raw honey
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Have an 8-inch or 9-inch unbaked gluten-free pie crust ready. If using Classic Flaky Pastry, generously grease an 8-inch or 9-inch pie pan; roll out the dough to fit inside prepared pie pan and hang over the sides. Place dough in pan and crimp the edges.
2. To make the filling, place 1¼ cups pumpkin puree, brown sugar, maple syrup, molasses, salt, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, cornstarch, eggs and yolk, coconut milk and vanilla in a large mixing bowl and beat until well combined. Pour mixture into crust.
3. Place pie in preheated oven on next-to-the-bottom rack and bake 15 minutes. Move pie to middle rack, reduce heat to 350°F and bake until center is set but slightly jiggly when shaken, about 35 minutes.
4. Remove pie from oven and let cool on a wire rack.
5. To make the topping, beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form. In a separate small bowl, combine ¼ cup pumpkin puree and honey. Gently fold pumpkin mixture into whipped cream. Refrigerate until used to top pie. Alternatively, use dairy-free whipped topping of choice to top pie.
6. Cut pie into slices. Top each slice with a dollop of pumpkin whipped topping or dairy-free whipped topping.
Pie yields 8 slices. Each slice with topping contains 408 calories, 21g total fat, 13g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 137mg cholesterol, 236mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 33g sugars, 4g protein, 29Est GL.
Each slice without topping contains 294 calories, 10g total fat, 6g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 96mg cholesterol, 225mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 30g sugars, 3g protein, 28Est GL.
For Egg-Free Molasses Pumpkin Pie, omit eggs. Combine 4 tablespoons cornstarch with 5 tablespoons water, mixing well. Pour into wet ingredients. Add ½ teaspoon more vanilla in step 2. After baking, chill 1 hour to firm the filling before serving.