Gluten-Free Minestrone Soup
Makes 6 servings of gluten-free minestrone soup!
This thick gluten-free Italian soup is chock-full of vegetables, gluten-free pasta and white cannellini beans. Enjoy it as a filling lunch or add gluten-free rolls or biscuits for dinner in a bowl. For best results, cook the gluten-free pasta separately and add it to the soup just before serving.
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 slices turkey bacon, chopped
2 cups finely chopped leeks (about 1 large leek)
2 teaspoons crushed garlic
2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
1 large potato, peeled and diced
1 large zucchini, diced (about 1 cup)
1 tablespoon freeze-dried or fresh chopped basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 (28-ounce) can tomatoes, drained and chopped
6 cups gluten-free chicken broth or Almost Homemade Chicken Broth, more as needed
1 cup frozen green peas
1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup raw gluten-free elbow pasta
1/3 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese of choice, optional
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, for garnish, optional
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add turkey bacon and cook until pieces begin to brown, about 2 minutes. Add leeks and cook until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds. Add celery, carrots and potato and cook until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in zucchini, basil, oregano, salt and pepper, to taste. Cook 1 minute.
2. Add tomatoes and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
3. Stir in peas and beans and cook until vegetables are fork tender, about 10 minutes.
4. Bring a pot of salted water to boil. Add elbow pasta and cook according to package directions. Drain.
5. Divide pasta among 6 bowls and ladle hot soup over pasta. Top with Parmesan cheese and chopped basil, if desired.