Gluten-Free Lemon Bars
With Brown Flour Rice
MAKES 12 COOKIES
Ed. note: The recipe below is an excerpt from Roben Ryberg's Gluten-Free in Five Minutes. Ryberg set out to create "rapid recipes" for breads, rolls, cakes, muffins, and other treats, and ended up with 123 of them in this easy-to-follow 120-page book.
Lemon curd atop a lemon cookie base. Frozen lemonade concentrate provides fresh lemon flavor. Serving these with a garnish of lemon peel is very pretty.
1/3 cup oil, 65 grams
½ cup sugar, 100 grams
1¼ cups brown rice flour, 155 grams
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
2 tablespoons frozen lemonade concentrate
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1 cup water
½ cup frozen lemonade concentrate
¼ cup cornstarch or potato starch, 35 grams
1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Lightly grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
2. In a medium-size bowl, combine the oil and sugar. Beat well. Add the brown rice flour and beat well. Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl at least once during mixing. Add the reaming n batter ingredients and beat well. Continue beating until the dough comes together; it will be quite thick.
3. Press the dough evenly into the prepared pan. Bake for about 20 minutes, until lightly browned and a toothpick tests cleanly. Let cool.
4. In a microwave-safe cup, combine the topping ingredients, except for the confectioners’ sugar, and mix well. Microwave on HIGH 1 minute at a time, for about 3 minutes, until the mixture is thick, stirring after each minute to blend well. Spread the lemon topping over the cooled cookie layer. Let cool.
5. Dust the top of the cookies with confectioners’ sugar. Let cool completely and cut into bars.
For more quick and easy-to-make recipes, buy Gluten-Free in Five Minutes from our Gluten-Free & More bookstore.