Gluten-Free Italian Breadsticks
MAKES 30 GLUTEN-FREE BREADSTICKS
These gluten-free Italian breadsticks are as eye-catching as they are delicious. Vary the flavor to your liking by folding in chopped Nicoise olives, pepperjack cheese (or a dairy-free replacement) or your favorite herbs.
1 recipe Beth’s No-Knead Bread dough
½ cup chopped hard Italian salami
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese,
Parmesan cheese or dairy-free cheese of choice
2 tablespoons dry basil
1 beaten egg, optional
1. Prepare Beth’s No-Knead Bread through step 5.
2. Fold salami, cheese and basil into dough.
3. Coat a sheet of parchment paper with oil. Roll dough on oiled parchment to coat.
4. Preheat oven to 450°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
5. Pull off walnut-size pieces of dough. Roll each of them into 8-inch logs and set them on 2 parchment-lined baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a draft-free, relatively warm spot 30 minutes. Remove cover and brush with beaten egg, if desired.
6. Place breadsticks in preheated 450°F oven and bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.