Gluten-Free Cinnamon Sugar Donuts
These classic gluten-free donuts are not only gluten-free, they're also free from dairy, nuts, soy and corn.
They're simple to make using standard ingredients and they bake up in less than 10 minutes. Store donuts in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days. Double the recipe and freeze extras to enjoy later; remove from freezer and microwave 10 seconds before serving. This recipe can be made egg-free; see instructions.
MAKES 6 GLUTEN-FREE DONUTS.
½ cup brown rice flour
¼ cup tapioca starch/flour
¼ cup potato starch (not potato flour)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup dark brown sugar, packed
1 large egg, room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
¼ cup + 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
¼ cup + 2 tablespoons milk of choice
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
¼ cup granulated sugar 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Grease one 6-serving non-stick donut pan.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine rice flour, tapioca starch/flour, potato starch, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
3. In a small mixing bowl, whisk brown sugar, egg, vanilla, vegetable oil, milk and vinegar.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until combined. Spoon batter into prepared donut pan, filling each donut well about 2/3rds full. Batter should not cover the center of the donut well.
5. Place in preheated oven and bake 8 to 10 minutes or until donuts rise and set. Remove from oven and cool 5 minutes in pan. Carefully remove donuts and transfer to a wire rack over a cookie sheet or piece of parchment paper.
6. For cinnamon-sugar coating, combine sugar and cinnamon in a small mixing bowl. Dip the top of each donut into coating; then flip each donut over and coat the bottom. Repeat until all donuts are coated.
Each donut contains 300 calories, 15g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 35mg cholesterol, 271mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 18g sugars, 2g protein, 27Est GL.
For Egg-Free Cinnamon Sugar Donuts, omit 1 egg. Reduce oil to 1/4 cup in step 3. Combine 1 tablespoon golden flax meal with 3 tablespoons hot unsweetened applesauce; let cool. Use this mixture to replace the egg in step 3. Bake donuts 1 to 2 minutes longer if they don't test done after baking 10 minutes.
Contributor Chrystal Carver (glutenfreepalate.com) is author of Sweet & Simple Gluten-Free Baking: Irresistible Classics in 10 Ingredients or Less (Inkwater Press).