Gluten-Free Chicken Tacos with Pickled Blackberry Salsa
MAKES 4 SERVINGS
Infused with a vinegary snap, pickled blackberries up the ante on tacos. To add flavor to the chicken, try rubbing it before cooking with a spice mixture consisting of 1 teaspoon cumin and ½ teaspoon each chili powder, salt and black pepper. For the gluten-free tacos, you can use Boston lettuce leaves instead of tortillas.
1 tablespoon sugar
½ teaspoon salt, more for salsa
¼ cup hot water
½ cup cider vinegar
1½ cups fresh or frozen (thawed) blackberries
1 pound boneless chicken thighs
1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 yellow or orange bell pepper, diced
1 small ripe avocado, diced
⅓ cup chopped fresh mint
2 scallions, thinly sliced
8 corn tortillas or gluten-free flour tortillas
Sour cream or dairy-free sour cream, optional
Lime wedges, for garnish
1. In a glass jar, stir sugar and ½ teaspoon salt with 1/4 cup boiled water until dissolved. Add cider vinegar and let cool to room temperature. Add blackberries, seal lid and let stand at least 30 minutes or up to 1 day in the refrigerator.
2. Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a baking sheet or line it with parchment paper.
3. Arrange chicken on prepared baking sheet. Place in preheated oven and roast 30 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F. Let cool and then slice.
4. Meanwhile, remove blackberries from brine and toss with tomatoes, bell peppers, avocado, mint, scallions and a couple pinches salt.
5. Arrange chicken slices on tortillas. Top each with blackberry salsa and a dollop of sour cream, if using. Serve with lime wedges.