Gluten-Free Candy Cane Cookies
MAKES ABOUT 25 COOKIES
Ed. note: The recipe here is an excerpt from Roben Ryberg's Gluten-Free in Five Minutes. Ryberg set out to create "rapid recipes" for breads, rolls, cakes, muffins, and other treats, and ended up with 123 of them in this easy-to-follow 120-page book.
These Candy Cane Cookies, made with brown rice flour, are cut from strips of colored dough that are rolled flat into a striped mat. The process makes for a prettier cookie than twisting strips of dough together.
1/3 cup oil, 65 grams
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, 125 grams
1½ cups brown rice flour, 185 grams
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
3 tablespoons water
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon peppermint extract
About ¼ teaspoon red paste food coloring
1 tablespoon sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
2. In a medium-size bowl, combine the oil and sugar. Beat well. Add the brown rice flour and beat well. Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl at least once during mixing. Add the reaming ingredients and beat well. Continue beating until the dough comes together.
3. Divide the dough in half. Set half of the dough (about 250 grams) aside. Mix a little red food coloring into the remaining half of the dough until the desired color is reached. Refrigerate both batches of dough for at least 30 minutes, for easier handling.
4. Roll each section of the dough flat, about ¼-inch thick. Cut the dough into thin strips and then lay down alternating colored strips side by side to form a tight, striped dough mat. Roll it slightly to be sure that the dough strips seal to each other. Finally, cut the dough at a 45-degree angle to form thin strips with a slanted angle of stripes showing.
5. Cut the strips into 5-inch lengths and place them on the prepared pan. Gently bend the top of each 5-inch length sideways to form the arch of the candy cane. Sprinkle the tops lightly with plain sugar.
6. Bake the cookies for about 10 minutes, until the tops just begin to take on a little color. Let cool on wire racks before serving.
For more quick and easy to make recipes, buy Gluten-Free in Five Minutes from our Gluten-Free & More bookstore.