Our Favorite Gluten-Free Waffles
A good gluten-free waffle is hard to find, but this recipe makes it easy to make the best GF waffles right at home!
PREP: 10 minutes
COOK: 20 minutes
These crispy, golden waffles are perfect for any breakfast or brunch. This recipe is simple to make, calls for minimal ingredients, and can be easily doubled or tripled to feed a crowd. Serve with pure maple syrup. It can be made egg-free; see instructions.
MAKES 16 (4-INCH) WAFFLES.
1 cup white rice flour
1/2 cup potato starch (not potato flour)
1/2 cup tapioca starch/flour
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1+ 3/4 cups milk of choice
1/2 cup avocado oil or oil of choice
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat a non-stick waffle iron.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch/flour, xanthan gum, sugar, baking powder and salt.
3. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Mix just until batter is smooth.
4. Pour batter onto preheated waffle iron (about 1/4 cup for 4-inch waffles). Cook until golden brown.
5. Remove from waffle iron. Keep waffles warm while cooking remaining batter.
For Egg-Free Favorite Waffles, omit 2 eggs. Combine 2 tablespoons golden flax meal with 6 tablespoons hot water or hot milk of choice; let sit 5 minutes to thicken and cool. Use this mixture to replace 2 eggs in step 3. Reserve 1/4 cup from 1 cup milk in the recipe; use reserved milk to thin batter, 1 tablespoon at a time, if needed.
Each waffle contains 158 calories, 8g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 29mg cholesterol, 145mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 2g sugars, 2g protein, 13Est GL.
Contributor Chrystal Carver is a gluten-free food blogger and author of Sweet & Simple Gluten-Free Baking: Irresistible Classics in 10 Ingredients or Less.