Dairy Free Cherry Pie
A delicious alternative to the standard sugar-laden pie, this recipe highlights the natural beauty and taste of the cherries. If you can find them, a combination of sour and sweet cherries provides wonderful flavor.
1 double pie crust
½ teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons tapioca starch/flour
- Pinch salt
¼ cup maple crystals, date sugar or granulated sugar
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
3½ cups cherries, pitted
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1½ teaspoons vanilla
¼ cup maple syrup, for brushing
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a cookie sheet.
2. Combine cinnamon, tapioca starch/flour, salt, maple crystals and lemon zest in a medium bowl. Add cherries and toss until well coated.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together lemon juice and vanilla. Pour mixture over the cherries and stir ingredients until just combined. Set aside.
4. Roll out pie crust dough into a circle (slightly larger than a 10-inch pie plate) on prepared cookie sheet. Place cherry mixture in the center of the circle and fold up the sides, overlapping as you go. The dough will not stick to itself so put a few drops of water on it and press it together with your fingers. If the bottom of the crust splits as you’re working, put a dab of water on your finger and push the dough together.
5. Chill galette in the freezer for 30 minutes. Remove from freezer and bake it in preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until it starts to turn golden.
6. Remove it from oven and brush the crust and cherries with maple syrup. This adds a touch of sweetness and gives the galette a beautiful shine.
7. Return galette to preheated oven and bake another 15 to 20 minutes or until golden.
Each serving contains 385 calories, 15g total fat, 12g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 62g carbohydrate, 8mg sodium, 3g fiber, 3g protein.
TIP Can’t find fresh cherries? Good-quality frozen cherries work fine in this recipe.