Gluten-Free Coconut Mexican Wedding Cookies
For variety, you can roll these gluten free wedding cookies into logs instead of buttons!
With their fluffy coating of powdered sugar, these cookies look like snowballs. Store in airtight containers at room temperature for 2 to 3 days or freeze for future use.
MAKES 36 TO 40 COOKIES.
1 recipe Holiday Cookie Master Dough
⅔ cup unsweetened coconut or ground almonds
½ teaspoon almond extract, optional
-Confectioners’ sugar, for coating
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. Spread coconut over a prepared cookie sheet. Place in preheated oven and bake until coconut begins to brown, stirring frequently. Remove from oven and cool. Rub toasted coconut between fingers to crush into small pieces.
3. Increase oven temperature to 350°F.
4. Beat toasted, crushed coconut (or ground almonds, if tolerated) and almond extract (if used) into dough. Chill for 30 minutes.
5. Shape dough into tiny balls and set ¾ inch apart on prepared cookie sheets. Alternatively, scoop out heaping teaspoons of dough and roll into mini-logs; set on cookie sheets.
6. Place in preheated oven and bake 15 to 16 minutes or until bottoms of cookies are golden. Remove from oven and cool completely.
7. Spoon sugar into a bowl. Toss cookies in sugar to coat.
Each cookie contains 87 calories, 5g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 16mg cholesterol, 121mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 1g protein.
Food editor Beth Hillson (glutenfreemakeovers.com), is author of Gluten-Free Makeovers.