All-American Gluten-Free Hamburger
MAKES 4 GLUTEN-FREE BURGERS
Here’s the ultimate classic All-American Gluten-Free Hamburger for backyard grilling. Serve with condiments of choice and your favorite special sauces.
-Cooking oil, for brushing grill
1 pound lean ground beef
3 tablespoons gluten-free barbecue sauce
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
-Salt and pepper, to taste
4 slices American cheese, cheddar cheese or dairy-free alternative
4 gluten-free buns, split horizontally
-Melted butter, optional
-Tomato slices, for topping
-Lettuce leaves, for topping
-Red onion slices, for topping
1. Preheat the grill. Brush the grate with cooking oil.
2. Place ground beef in a bowl. Add barbecue sauce, mustard, salt and pepper and stir into ground beef until ingredients are evenly incorporated. Form into 4 equal-size patties.
3. Place patties on preheated grill. Cover and cook about 4 to 5 minutes per side, flipping burgers once. When done, meat should register 160°F on a meat thermometer. A minute before patties are done, top each with a slice of cheese.
4. Brush sliced buns with melted butter (if using) and place buns on the grill, cut side down. Toast 30 seconds to 1 minute.
5. Arrange hot patties between buns. Top each with tomato slices, lettuce leaves and onion slices.