[Updated May 22, 2015]
Gluten-free Gazpacho rocks, and this concoction delivers a surprising taste explosion with every spoonful. A blend of sweet and spicy, the flavors in this chilled first course (it serves 8 as a starter) or main mellow nicely with time. In fact, the change in flavor is quite pronounced.
This soup is delicious a few hours after preparing, so don’t feel like you have to wait beyond the 3-hour chill. And it’s even better the next day.
4 cups roughly chopped seedless watermelon
6 cups diced seedless watermelon
2 cups diced tomato
1 cup peeled, seeded, and diced cucumber
½ cup diced red bell pepper
2 tablespoons diced red onion, more to taste
3 tablespoons finely chopped basil
3 tablespoons finely chopped mint
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice, more to taste
1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
2 teaspoons minced ginger
½ teaspoon minced green serrano chile, more to taste
½ tablespoon natural salt, more to taste
– Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
1. Put 4 cups chopped watermelon into your blender and puree on high for 30 to 60 seconds until liquefied. Pour into a serving bowl.
2. Add 6 cups diced watermelon and all remaining ingredients. Stir to combine well.
3. Tweak flavors to taste. You may like more onion, lime juice, chile or salt.
4. Cover and chill in the refrigerator at least 3 hours (preferably 12 to 24 hours) to allow flavors to fuse and the vibrant red color to develop.
5. Before serving, tweak flavors again. If it’s too spicy, add some lime juice. Pass additional lime juice and salt at the table.
Each serving contains 98 calories, 1g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 589mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 18g sugars, 2g protein, 7 Est GL.