MAKES 25 MEDIUM MEATBALLS.
1 container Ellyndale Southwestern Barbeque Q Cup quinoa
8 ounces canned black beans, drained and rinsed
5 slices Schar Artisan Baker White Bread, toasted and pulverized into breadcrumbs
1/4 cup diced onion
1 tablespoon hot sauce of choice
1 large egg
1/2 cup gluten-free barbecue sauce of choice
Gluten-free sandwich buns or pasta, for serving
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Prepare quinoa cup according to package instructions. Set aside.
3. Place beans in a medium bowl. Slightly mash them with a fork until they become a chunky paste.
4. Add cooked quinoa, breadcrumbs, onion, hot sauce and egg to the beans and mix to combine ingredients.
5. Form mixture into walnut-size balls and arrange on prepared pan.
6. Place in preheated oven and bake 30 minutes or to desired doneness. Brush every 10 minutes with a thin layer of barbecue sauce.
7. Serve warm on gluten-free sandwich buns, on top of gluten-free pasta or with toothpicks as an appetizer.
Each meatball contains contains 38 calories, 1g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 8mg cholesterol, 139mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 2g sugars, 1g protein, 4Est GL.
Emily Schaefer grew up on a small island off the coast of Maine with Acadia National Park as her backyard, where she gained a respect and awe of her environment. Interested in art and “how things work,” she initially enrolled in the Baking & Pastry Arts program at Johnson & Wales University and then in the Culinary Nutrition program. She graduates in 2018.Yields 25 meatballs