This gluten-free pizza crust is egg-free and dairy-free. The texture of the dough makes it easy to handle and transfer. Form it into a traditional crust that’s slightly thick with a chewy texture or press it thin for a crispy, rustic flatbread. This recipe makes one 12-inch pizza crust, two 6×12-inch flatbreads, or one 11×16-inch flatbread.
More DIY Gluten-Free Pizzas
Traditional Crust Instructions (Ingredients and flatbread instructions below)
MAKES ONE (12-INCH) CRUST.
1. Set a pizza stone, if using, on the lowest rack of the oven. Preheat to 425°F.
2. In the bowl of a heavy-duty mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, place rice flour, sorghum flour, potato starch, millet flour, flax meal, xanthan gum and salt. Blend well. Add yeast and blend. Add warm water, 2 tablespoons oil and honey. Beat at medium high speed 2 to 3 minutes or until the dough thickens and becomes smooth.
3. Spoon 2 teaspoons olive oil onto a sheet of parchment paper or a pizza pan. Set the dough on the surface and begin to roll it and/or press it into desired size.
4. For traditional crust, shape dough into a 12-inch circle that reaches the edges of the pan. Roll and pinch the edges to form a crust.
5. Set the crust in a draft-free area to rise for 15 minutes.
6. Using a pizza peel, slide the crust (on the parchment) onto preheated stone. Alternatively, set the crust (on the parchment) on a baking sheet and place on the lowest rack in the oven, or set the crust on a 12-inch pizza pan on the lowest rack. Bake 12 minutes.
7. Remove from the oven and add toppings of choice.
8. Return the pizza to the oven and bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until the bottom of the crust is browned and cheese (if using) has melted. Let cool slightly and serve.
Food editor Beth Hillson is a chef and cooking instructor. She is founder of Gluten-Free Pantry, one of the first gluten-free companies in the United States, and author of Gluten-Free Makeovers and The Complete Guide to Living Well Gluten Free (Da Capo Lifelong).Yields 4 servings
- ½ cup rice flour
- ½ cup sorghum flour
- ½ cup potato starch, tapioca starch/flour or cornstarch
- ¼ cup millet flour
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons instant active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons honey
1Follow steps 1 to 3 for Traditional Crust.
2Roll or press dough into two 6x12-inch flatbreads or one 11x16-inch flatbread with the same thickness througout. Do not press dough thicker around the edges.
3Set the dough in a draft-free area to rise for 15 minutes.
4Add toppings of choice.
5Using a pizza peel, slide the flatbread (on the parchment) onto preheated stone. Alternatively, set the flatbread (on the parchment) on a baking sheet on the lowest rack in the oven.
6Bake 18 minutes or until the flatbread is browned and cheese (if using) has melted. Let cool slightly and serve.