As a childhood actor, Danica McKellar was a main character in television’s The Wonder Years, sharing her first kiss with co-star Fred Savage. She later transitioned to adult actress as Elsie Snuffin on The West Wing. The California native, a summa cum laude graduate of UCLA, went on to share her passion for mathematics in such New York Times best-selling books as Math Doesn’t Suck and Kiss My Math along with Hot X: Algebra Exposed.
In a 2010 interview with Gluten Free & More, McKellar talked about being allergic to wheat and also shared a favorite recipe: Quinoa-Banana bread.
“The riper the bananas, the better,” McKellar says. “This recipe doubles very well, a good thing since people usually want more.”
½ cup + 2 tablespoons quinoa flour
⅓ cup quinoa flakes
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt, more to taste
2 very ripe bananas, peeled
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons honey or pure maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
2. Place dry ingredients in large bowl and mix together until well combined.
3. In smaller bowl, mash bananas. Mix in the eggs and honey until combined.
4. Add banana mixture to dry ingredients and beat until combined and batter has a smooth consistency.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes until done.