This dish, called Arepas de Cerdo, is a traditional offering in Costa Rica. Every chef has his or her own signature interpretation. In this version, sweet Corn Cakes (arepas) are paired with Pulled Pork and topped with a flavorful Cumin-Lime Sauce, a match made in heaven.
This flavorful pulled pork recipe is easy to put together. You’ll have extra, enough for a second meal. Hint: It makes a delicious taco filling.
Food editor Beth Hillson is a chef and cooking instructor. She is founder of Gluten-Free Pantry, one of the first gluten-free companies in the United States, and author of Gluten-Free Makeovers and The Complete Guide to Living Well Gluten Free (Da Capo Lifelong).Yields 8 servings
- 1½ pounds boneless pork butt
- 4 cups water
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, coarsely chopped
- Juice and peel of 1 orange
- Juice and peel of 1 lime
- ½-1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
1Place all ingredients in a large pot. Simmer, covered, on the stove on low heat for 2 hours.
2Remove pork from pot and let sit on a platter until it’s cool enough to handle.
3Shred pork with your hands or with two forks. Serve warm.
MAKES ABOUT 1¼ CUPS.
Top each serving of pulled pork with a dollop of this flavorful sauce.
1 cup plain sour cream or yogurt of choice
Juice of 1 lime
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1. In a medium bowl, place sour cream, lime juice and cumin. Stir to thoroughly combine ingredients.
2. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.