Pizza is everyone’s go-to food, ideal for casual gatherings of family and friends, particularly sports fans when there’s a big game. A spin on traditional pizza, this recipe puts the fixings inside the dough for easy handling. Serve with extra pizza sauce for dipping. This recipe is egg-free and can be dairy-free with a cheese substitute. Leftovers can be reheated in a 350°F oven for a few minutes.
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided, more for brushing dough
6 ounces baby spinach
1 medium onion, chopped
3 teaspoons minced garlic
¾ pound spicy sausage or ground beef
1 (12-ounce) jar good quality gluten-free pizza sauce, divided
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese or dairy-free alternative
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese or dairy-free alternative
3 cups high-protein flour blend of choice
1 tablespoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon salt
5 teaspoons active dry yeast
1⅓ cups warm water (105°-110°F)
2 tablespoons olive oil, more for brushing dough
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
1. To make the filling, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add spinach and sauté until wilted. Remove from pan and set aside.
2. Add 1 tablespoon oil to the skillet and sauté onion and garlic over medium-high heat until golden and soft, about 5 minutes. Add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and crumble sausage into the pan. Sauté until meat is no longer pink, breaking up the pieces with the back of the spoon. Drain off grease. Add back spinach. Then set aside to cool while making the dough.
3. Place an oven rack in the lowest position in the oven. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Lightly oil paper and set aside.
4. To make dough, combine high-protein blend, xanthan gum and salt in the bowl of a heavy-duty mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and blend well. Add yeast and blend.
5. In a small bowl, combine warm water, oil, honey and cider vinegar. Add to dry ingredients. Beat at medium-high speed 3 to 5 minutes or until dough thickens.
6. To assemble, set the dough between 2 sheets of well-oiled plastic wrap and press it into a 10×16-inch rectangle. Remove the top sheet of plastic. Spread ½ cup pizza sauce evenly over the top of the crust, leaving a 1-inch border around all sides. Sprinkle sausage mixture evenly over sauce. Top with mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese or dairy-free alternatives.
7. Starting on the 16-inch side, gently roll the dough up tightly, using the bottom layer of plastic wrap to help. The roll should be about 3 to 4 inches thick and 16 inches long. Lift roll in the plastic wrap and transfer it to prepared cookie sheet. Remove the plastic wrap as you unroll the dough onto the baking sheet. Brush dough with olive oil.
8. Place in preheated oven and bake 20 to 22 minutes or until golden brown.
9. Let stand 5 minutes after baking. Cut into slices. Serve with remaining pizza sauce.
Each serving contains 489 calories, 27g total fat, 9g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 46mg cholesterol, 1054mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 4g sugars, 17g protein, 29Est GL.