If you’re avoiding cheese or pine nuts, try Roasted Red Pepper Pesto.
¼ cup pine nuts
2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
3 tablespoons Pecorino Romano cheese or dairy-free cheese replacement, grated
2 cups basil leaves, washed and pounded to bruise
½ cup + 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1. In a small non-stick skillet, toast pine nuts until just golden. Stir in garlic and cook for one minute. Take skillet off heat and cool.
2. Place all ingredients, except 1 tablespoon olive oil, in a food processor and pulse until mixture is finely chopped.
3. Place pesto in an airtight container. Drizzle remaining tablespoon olive oil over pesto. With each use, cover the pesto with more olive oil. Store in the refrigerator.
MAKES 1 CUP
¼ cup pine nuts, optional
¾ cup jarred red pepper, rinsed and patted dry
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh thyme
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons red onion, finely chopped
– Salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a small non-stick skillet, cook pine nuts over medium heat until golden. Cool. In food processor, add all ingredients and pulse until smooth. Store in refrigerator until used.
Each tablespoon contains 34 calories 3g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 90mg sodium,1g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 0g protein.