A wonderful benefit of preparing a batch of individual meatloaves is that they cook in half the time of a standard-size meatloaf. For these, brown rice serves as a nutritious binder while Mushroom Gravy delivers upscale appeal.
⅔ cup cooked brown rice
1 medium-size carrot, peeled and shredded (about 1 cup)
2 scallions, green and white parts, finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons tomato paste
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 pound lean ground beef
1 tablespoon canola or grape seed oil
2 shallots, chopped
10 ounces cremini mushrooms, chopped (about 4 cups)
½ cup dry white wine
3 tablespoons cornstarch or arrow- root powder
3 cups gluten-free broth, divided
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease or paper-line 10 standard-size muffin cups.
2. In a large bowl, mix together rice, carrot, scallions, garlic, tomato paste, mustard, cumin, salt and pepper. Gently mix in ground beef until everything is combined.
3. Divide mixture evenly among prepared muffin cups and gently press down on each to pack in the contents. Place in preheated oven and bake 25 minutes or until mixture reaches an internal temperature of 160°F. Let cool at least 5 minutes before unmolding.
4. Meanwhile, prepare Mushroom Gravy by heating oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms soften, about 5 minutes. Add wine, raise heat to medium-high and boil until liquid is reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
5. Whisk cornstarch or arrowroot powder, 1 tablespoon at a time, into 1 cup broth until smooth.
6. Add remaining 2 cups broth and thyme to the pan. Return mixture to a boil and stir in cornstarch-broth mixture. Simmer until thickened, 6 to 8 minutes. Season with additional salt and black pepper to taste.
7. Serve meatloaves hot, topped with Mushroom Gravy.
Each serving contains 426 calories, 30g total fat, 10g saturated fat, 2g trans fat, 70mg cholesterol, 704mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 16g protein. To reduce sodium, use low-sodium tomato paste and low-sodium vegetable broth.