“Mac and cheese is one of the foods everyone misses most when they go without gluten and dairy, my children included. I was determined to come up with a recipe that they would love,” says Jessica Glick. And she did. This simple and delicious dish has all the creaminess, cheesy flavor and mouth-feel you expect. “Shortly after posting this recipe on my blog, it became a hit. Two leading dairy-free companies featured it on their sites. Even friends who eat gluten and dairy ask me to prepare this when they come over!”
6 quarts water
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 pound gluten-free pasta shells
2 slices vegan bread or gluten-free bread, toasted
4 tablespoons dairy-free, soy-free buttery spread, more for greasing pan
2 cups unflavored coconut milk beverage (in a carton)
½ cup coconut creamer (see Shopping List, on right)
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon millet flour
2 tablespoons water, room temperature
2 heaping cups dairy-free shredded cheddar cheese
1 heaping cup dairy-free shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 9×12-inch casserole dish.
2. Fill a large stockpot with water and heat to boil. Add 2 tablespoons salt to boiling water. Add pasta shells and stir frequently to prevent clumping. Cook 5 to 7 minutes until softened. Turn off heat and let pasta sit in water 2 to 3 minutes. Drain and set aside.
3. In a mini food processor, pulse toasted bread into breadcrumbs. Set aside.
4. To make the sauce, melt buttery spread in a medium heavy-bottom saucepan over medium heat. Immediately add coconut milk beverage, coconut creamer, salt, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Stir mixture frequently until it just begins to boil; watch carefully so that it doesn’t come to a full boil.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch, millet flour and water.
6. Pour cornstarch mixture into the sauce and increase heat to medium-high. Whisk or stir vigorously for 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to stir frequently for 3 to 5 minutes as sauce thickens to a pudding-like consistency. Once thickened, add dairy-free cheddar and mozzarella cheese, stirring to blend until sauce is thick and creamy.
7. Add drained pasta to the sauce, mixing gently until pasta is evenly coated.
8. Spoon pasta into prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle breadcrumbs evenly over the top.
9. Place in preheated oven and bake 10 to 12 minutes until golden brown on top and bubbling along the edges. Remove from oven and let sit 10 minutes before serving.
Each serving contains 704 calories, 38g total fat, 13g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 2mg cholesterol, 1480mg sodium, 82g carbohydrate, 7g fiber, 3g sugars, 15g protein, 50 Est GL.