This high-protein bread has a springy texture that’s great toasted and makes scrumptious French toast. The natural sugars in the crushed pineapple and orange juice cause this bread to brown quickly. To prevent over-browning, loosely cover loaves with aluminum foil 10 minutes after bread begins baking.
4½ cups Gluten-Free High-Protein Flour Blend
1 tablespoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
¼ cup almond meal, powdered milk or Dairy Free milk powder substitute
3 eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
4 tablespoons agave nectar
⅓ cup shortening or margarine, room temperature
2 (6-ounce) cans crushed pineapple with juice
½ cup orange juice, warmed to 110 degrees
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon dry yeast
1. Grease and flour two 8-inch loaf pans.
2. In a medium-size bowl, combine flour blend, xanthan gum, baking soda, salt, almond meal or dry milk powder and set aside.
3. In the mixing bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment, combine eggs, cider vinegar, agave nectar, shortening or margarine, and crushed pineapple. Mix on low speed until combined. Shortening will be lumpy.
4. In a glass measuring cup, heat orange juice to 110 degrees, about 45 seconds in a microwave. Stir yeast into juice and let sit to proof about 10 minutes. Yeast mixture will double in size. Set aside.
5. Add dry ingredients to egg mixture and mix for approximately 1 minute until well combined. Add yeast mixture and mix on low speed for 30 seconds. Then increase speed to medium-high and beat for 4 minutes.
6. Spoon batter into prepared pans and let rise in warm place for approximately 45 minutes or until nearly doubled in size. While bread is proofing, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
7. Place bread in oven and bake for approximately 50 minutes until done. Bread is done when internal temperature reads 200 degrees on an instant-read thermometer.
Each serving contains 72 calories, 3g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 24mg cholesterol, 223mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 2g protein.