Photo by Jeff Rasmussen
These homemade pastries are delicious fresh out of the oven or toasted from the freezer. Gluten-free instant oats hold the dough together without eggs, making this recipe gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan.
⅛ cup certified gluten-free instant oats
¼ cup boiling water
2½ cups gluten-free all-purpose flour blend
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 cup (2 sticks) cold butter or dairy-free replacement
2 tablespoons apple butter
1 tablespoon cold water
¼ cup milk of choice, more or less as needed
1 tablespoon cinnamon sugar or Demerara sugar
1¼ cups apple butter or jam, for filling
1. Stir instant oats with boiling water until combined. Set aside to thicken.
2. Using a food processor or stand mixer, pulse or whisk together flour blend, sugar, salt and baking powder until blended. Cut cold butter into small chunks and add to dry ingredients. Pulse or whisk briefly until mixture looks pebbly.
3. Measure out ¼ cup cooked oatmeal and add to the flour-butter mixture, along with 2 tablespoons apple butter and cold water. Process or mix just until ingredients are combined and the dough holds together.
4. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and freeze 10 minutes or refrigerate at least 30 minutes until dough is cold and not as sticky.
5. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
6. Once dough is chilled, liberally dust your countertop or work surface with gluten-free cornstarch. Roll out the dough to ⅛-inch thickness. Sprinkle extra flour on your rolling pin if dough is too sticky while rolling. Cut dough into even-size rectangles using a knife or a 3×4½-inch cutter.
7. Gently transfer half the rectangles to prepared baking sheets. Spoon apple butter or jam into the middle of each rectangle, leaving a ½-inch border on the sides of each rectangle for sealing. Dip a finger in water and dampen the edges of the rectangle. Lay another rectangle on top of each filled rectangle and press gently around the edges. Then press around the edges of each pastry with fork tines. Cut an “X” or poke holes in the top of each pastry to let steam vent. Brush each with milk of choice and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
8. Place pastries in preheated oven and bake 25 to 30 minutes or until pastries are lightly browned but not crunchy.
9. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Drizzle with White Glaze, if desired.
3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon milk of choice, more as needed
1. Whisk milk into confectioners’ sugar, adding more milk until glaze reaches a drizzling consistency.
Each pastry without glaze contains 177 calories, 10g total fat, 6g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 25mg cholesterol, 75mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 8g sugars, 1g protein, 13Est GL.