If not eaten immediately, store cooled rolls in a closed container in the refrigerator for a few days. To soften chilled rolls, warm them briefly in the microwave. The eggs cannot be replaced in this recipe.
SERVES 6 TO 8.
1 cup buttermilk* of choice
⅓ cup butter or dairy-free butter alternative
1 tablespoon sugar
⅛ teaspoon salt
2 cups tapioca starch/flour
4 large eggs, lightly beaten, room temperature
2½ teaspoons baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Grease a large baking sheet or line it with parchment paper.
2. Place buttermilk, butter, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan and heat to a light boil. Add tapioca starch/flour all at once while pan is still on the stove, stirring to combine. Do not over-stir. Dough should be lumpy like muffin batter.
3. Remove pan from heat and let dough cool to 140°F (hotter will cook the eggs).
4. Add beaten eggs, a little at a time, stirring to combine. Dough will be stiff and lumpy as you stir. After eggs are incorporated, stir in baking powder.
5. Scoop out ⅓ cup of dough and place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough. Shape dough into rolls and lightly spray with water.
6. Place rolls in preheated oven and bake 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°F and bake another 20 minutes. If rolls fall a little bit, turn off the oven, open the oven door and let rolls sit in oven 15 to 20 minutes until set.