This recipe was originally published in 2013.
For Egg-Free Sweet Pastry Crust, omit 2 eggs. Combine 2 tablespoons flax meal with 6 tablespoons warm unsweetened applesauce and 1 tablespoon hot water. Allow to cool. Then add to recipe to replace 2 eggs.Yields 2 pie crusts
- 2 cups Mary’s All-Purpose Baking Flour Blend
- 4 tablespoons sweet rice flour or tapioca flour/starch
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, ghee or butter alternative, well chilled
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons ice water, more as needed
1In a food processor, mix together flour blend, sweet rice flour, brown sugar and salt. Pulse to blend.
2Cut in butter just until mixture resembles coarse meal.
3Add eggs and water and mix just until dough forms into a ball.
4Divide dough in half, leaving 1 half slightly larger than the other for the bottom layer. Keep dough refrigerated until ready to roll. Flatten each piece into a 6-inch disk and place each between 2 sheets of flour-dusted parchment paper or wax paper. Refrigerate 30 minutes to chill.