Chilled soup is a wonderful meal for those scorched summer days when you feel like you’re melting away. Cold borscht is great to eat for cooling down and staying hydrated. It’s packed with nutrients and flavor, and has a delightful red-pink color. This gluten-free borscht recipe takes only fifteen minutes to prepare and about 35 minutes to cook. Chill it for a couple of hours, and you have a delicious summer soup!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30-40 minutes
Chill Time: 2 hours
MAKES 4 TO 6 SERVINGS.
1 pound beets (about 6 medium), cleaned, tops removed
1 cup gluten-free chicken broth
¾ cup unsweetened yogurt of choice or coconut milk (not coconut beverage)
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup seeded, small-diced cucumber (about 1 large)
¼ cup thinly sliced green onions (about 1 small bunch)
1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add beets and cook until very soft, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside to cool. Reserve 1 cup of cooking liquid. When beets are cool enough to handle, rub off skins using your hands or a paring knife.
2. Roughly chop ¼ of the beets and dice the rest.
3. In a blender, combine reserved cooking liquid, chicken broth, roughly chopped beets, yogurt, lemon juice, sherry vinegar, honey and salt. Blend until smooth.
4. Stir in diced beets, cucumber, green onions and dill, reserving a small amount of each for garnish, if desired.
5. Refrigerate soup until very cold, at least 2 hours.
6. Divide soup equally among serving bowls and garnish with reserved diced beet mixture, if desired.
Each serving contains 70 calories, 0g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 1mg cholesterol, 286mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 10g sugars, 5g protein, 6Est GL.
Author of three cookbooks, personal chef Simone Miller is founder of Zenbelly, a 100 percent gluten-free catering company in San Francisco that specializes in paleo cuisine. Miller is an expert at creating food that no one can tell is gluten-free. These recipes and photos were excerpted with permission from her newest cookbook, Paleo Soups & Stews: Over 100 Delectable Recipes for Every Season, Course and Occasion.Yields 6 servings