Serve these burgers on gluten-free buns with Chipotle Mayo. Add your favorite toppings.
1 cup uncooked rice or quinoa
1½ cups sprouted lentils (about ½ cup dried lentils, sprouted)
½ cup orange juice
2 cups water
2 large eggs, beaten
1½ teaspoons fine grain sea salt
¼ cup finely chopped onion or scallion
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons gluten-free flour of choice
4 teaspoons ground paprika
Olive oil, for brushing, optional
¼ cup sesame seeds or sunflower seeds, optional
1. Combine rice, spouted lentils, orange juice and water in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook 15 minutes. Do not open the lid.
2. Remove from heat and let sit, covered, an additional 15 minutes. All liquid should be absorbed. If not, drain excess liquid.
3. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray or brush parchment paper with oil.
4. Place rice and sprouted lentil mixture in the bowl of a food processor. Add eggs, salt, onions, garlic, gluten-free flour and paprika. Pulse 30 seconds until ingredients are just combined.
5. Scoop mixture in ⅓-cup portions onto prepared baking sheet. Flatten each mound slightly to form a patty in the shape of a burger. Brush tops with oil and sprinkle each burger with 1 teaspoon seeds, if desired.
6. Place in preheated oven and bake 30 minutes.
Each burger contains 101 calories, 1g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 35mg cholesterol, 306mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 2g sugars, 4g protein, 12 Est GL.
MAKES ½ CUP
Serve this flavorful mayonnaise with Sprouted Lentil Burgers. Store it in the refrigerator until used.
-½ cup mayonnaise or dairy-free, egg-free mayonnaise*
-1 teaspoon chipotle peppers in gluten-free adobo sauce
-Juice of ½ lime
-White pepper, to taste
-Salt, to taste
1. Place all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor.
2. Process until smooth.
Each tablespoon contains 58 calories, 5g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 4mg cholesterol, 107mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 1g sugars, 0g protein, 1 Est GL.
For Egg-Free Sprouted Lentil Burgers, omit 2 eggs. Combine 2 tablespoons flax meal with 4 tablespoons hot water. Let cool. Use this mixture to replace 2 eggs in step 4. Dough will be sticky. Oil hands when shaping burgers.
*TIP Dairy-free, egg-free mayonnaise is available from Earth Balance (earthbalancenatural.com).
TIP If the cooked rice and sprouts are still wet after draining, cover them with a clean cotton dish towel to absorb excess moisture while they cool. If the mixture is too dry and doesn’t mix easily in the food processor, add a little water, 1 tablespoon at a time.