This recipe can be prepared a day ahead and refrigerated, covered, until baked. Follow package directions for preparing the pasta. Gluten-free pastas tend to get mushy and fall apart if overcooked.
4 ounces gluten-free spaghetti
1 tablespoon butter or Earth Balance buttery spread
1 egg, beaten
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese or dairy-free cheese replacement
1 cup low-fat cottage cheese or Dairy-Free Cottage Cheese
½ pound 90% lean ground beef
½ cup chopped onion
½ cup chopped green pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (8 ounce) can gluten-free tomato sauce
1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese or dairy-free cheese replacement
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-inch pie plate.
2. In a large saucepan, cook spaghetti according to package directions just until tender. Drain well.
3. Return pasta to saucepan and stir in butter or Earth Balance until melted. Stir in egg and Parmesan cheese.
4. Press spaghetti mixture onto bottom and up sides of prepared pie plate, forming a crust. Spread cottage cheese over the crust.
5. In a skillet, cook beef, onion, green pepper and garlic until onion is tender and meat is browned. Drain off fat. Stir in tomato sauce and oregano and heat through.
6. Spread meat mixture over cottage cheese. Sprinkle top with mozzarella.
7. Place in preheated oven and bake, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly.