This recipe was originally published in 2014.
These are a perfect DIY gift for gluten-free, dairy-free friends over 21. For the younger crowd, replace the rum with orange juice. Store in a covered container in a cool location for a week.
*TIP: If omitting the walnuts, increase the cookie crumbs to 2½ cups.Yields 36 balls
- 1 cup dairy-free semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- ½ cup rum, orange juice or ⅓ cup orange juice and 2½ tablespoons orange liqueur, such as Grand Marnier
- 2¼ cups crushed gluten-free shortbread cookies (about 1 boxes)
- ¼ cup finely chopped walnuts,* optional
- ⅓ cup confectioners ’ sugar
1In a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate in microwave on medium setting 1 minute, repeating in 20-second increments until most of the pieces are melted.
2Stir in sugar and honey. Mixture may be lumpy. Add rum and stir. Add cookie crumbs and nuts, if using, and mix well.
3Chill mixture 1 hour or until it’s hard enough to form into small balls.
4Roll balls in confectioners’ sugar. Then set them in gold, silver, red and green candy papers and place on candy dishes to serve.