High-protein quinoa is easy to digest. Delicious warm or chilled, this dish is simple to prepare. Make more than enough for dinner and enjoy leftovers the next day for lunch. It keeps in the refrigerator up to four days.
1 cup uncooked quinoa
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1¼ cups gluten-free chicken stock or water, boiling hot
– Pinch salt
I medium red pepper, diced
1 medium yellow pepper, diced
2 boneless chicken breast halves, sliced into thin strips
1 medium carrot, diced
8 ounces asparagus or green beans, trimmed
½ cup pine nuts, toasted, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Soak quinoa for one minute in cool water, stirring to loosen any dirt particles. Pour into strainer and rinse. Place rinsed quinoa into a small baking dish.
3. Bake quinoa in preheated oven for about 8 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon olive oil and bake an additional minute.
4. Carefully add 1¼ cups boiling chicken stock or water and salt to quinoa, stirring to blend. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
5. Heat remaining olive oil in a pan and sauté chopped peppers and chicken strips. Set aside.
6. Steam carrots and asparagus or green beans for 1 to 2 minutes until brightly colored and slightly tender. Drain and submerge immediately in cold water for 30 seconds.
7. When quinoa is done, remove baking dish from oven. Add pepper, chicken, carrots and asparagus, stirring gently to combine. Drizzle salad with Lemon-Roasted Garlic Dressing and serve.
Each serving with dressing contains 337 calories, 19g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 23mg cholesterol, 68mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 17g protein.