This simple salad goes nicely with grilled meats or vegetarian dishes, such as grilled bell peppers or eggplant with hummus.
1 cup quinoa, thoroughly rinsed
7 ounces slim green beans, trimmed and halved
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon salt
– Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
¼ cup small basil leaves
1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
2 tablespoons cilantro sprigs
1 tablespoon snipped chives
1. Cook quinoa in plenty of gently boiling water for about 12 to 15 minutes or until it softens (organic quinoa may take a few minutes longer). Tip quinoa into a fine sieve, making several steam holes through it with a skewer, and let it drain.
2. Plunge green beans into a saucepan of lightly salted boiling water and cook uncovered for 4 to 5 minutes, or until fork-tender. Drain and rinse with plenty of cold water to stop the cooking. Dry off on paper towels.
3. In a large bowl, whisk oil, lemon juice, garlic and mustard together with ½ teaspoon salt and plenty of black pepper. Add quinoa and toss to coat with dressing.
4. Just before serving, stir in green beans, tomatoes and herbs. Serve immediately.
Each serving contains 184 calories, 9g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 122mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 3g protein.
Cookbook author and chef Julie Biuso lives in New Zealand.