This dish can be served alone or spooned onto four plates and topped with Red Snapper and Cilantro Pesto. If dairy is an issue, use substitutes or omit the cheese and cream altogether.
Food editor Beth Hillson is a chef and cooking instructor. She is founder of Gluten-Free Pantry, one of the first gluten-free companies in the United States, and author of Gluten-Free Makeovers and The Complete Guide to Living Well Gluten Free (Da Capo Lifelong).Yields 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup finely chopped white onion (1 small onion)
- ½ cup chopped carrot
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 1 large clove garlic, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained, or prewashed
- 2 cups gluten-free chicken or vegetable broth
- ½ cup green peas, fresh or frozen
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese of choice
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cream of choice
1Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add chopped onion, carrot, celery and garlic and saute until slightly softened, about 3 minutes.
2Add quinoa and saute until slightly brown, about 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
3Add broth and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer about 12 minutes.
4Add peas and cook, covered, about 2 to 3 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
5Stir in Parmesan cheese and cream until ingredients are combined. Serve hot.