This recipe was originally published in 2013.
Here’s a delightful way to start a holiday meal, an elegant first course that will wow your guests. Serve in pretty bowls or hollowed-out, cooked mini-pumpkins. Garnish with Apple Croutons and a dollop of dairy-free yogurt.
Living Without food editor Beth Hillson is author of Gluten-Free Makeovers.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large leek, trimmed, chopped and rinsed thoroughly
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 (15-ounce) cans pure pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups gluten-free chicken stock
- 2 cups apple juice
- ½ cup unflavored yogurt or dairy-free unflavored yogurt, more for garnish
- Apple Croutons, for garnish
1Set a medium saucepan over medium heat. Heat the olive oil. Sauté the leek until soft and cooked down. Add the garlic and ginger and sauté 1 minute. Add the cinnamon and sauté briefly, about 30 seconds, or just until it gives off its fragrance. Add pumpkin, salt, pepper, chicken stock and apple juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook the soup for 15 minutes, covered.
2Remove soup from heat and process with an immersion blender (or in batches in a blender) until smooth. Season with additional salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in ½ cup yogurt until combined.
3Divide soup evenly among 8 bowls. Garnish each with 2 Apple Croutons and a dollop of yogurt. Serve warm.