Its texture is tight yet light and moist with a delightful flavor that delivers a hint of vanilla. Slice and top with fresh berries or dairy-free ice cream or enjoy it plain with your last “cuppa” the day. Vary the flavor by replacing the vanilla extract with an equal amount of gluten-free coconut, strawberry or cherry extract. This recipe can be made dairy-free and egg-free with excellent results; see instructions below.
3 cups gluten-free all purpose flour blend
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons guar gum or xanthan gum
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups sugar
1 cup unsalted butter or dairy-free margarine of choice
2 large eggs or egg replacement*
1 cup milk or dairy-free milk of choice (coconut milk works well)
3-4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract or other gluten-free flavoring extract
1. Lightly grease a 10-inch bundt pan or 2 loaf pans with neutral vegetable oil. Alternatively grease 6 3½x6-inch individual cake pans (good for gifting). Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour blend, baking powder, guar gum and salt. Stir well and set aside.
3. In the bowl of a mixer, beat sugar and butter until creamy. Add eggs and beat until well mixed. Add milk and vanilla and beat until lightly fluffy.
4. While beating on low speed, sprinkle flour mixture, 1 cup at a time, into wet mixture. This ensures there are no lumps. When all flour is incorporated, beat on medium to high speed for 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 45 to 50 minutes until golden brown or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
6. Cool 15 minutes. Run a spatula gently around top rim of pan, being careful not to break cake. Lightly tap bottom of pan, invert cake plate on top of pan, flip over and let cake fall gently onto cake plate.
*For Egg-Free Pound Cake, omit 2 eggs. (1) Add 2 tablespoons arrowroot + ½ teaspoon additional baking powder to flour mixture. Mix well. (2) Heat milk just until warm and add 2 tablespoons flax meal; let sit 5 minutes to thicken. Add to butter and sugar. (3) Proceed with recipe instructions. If batter seems too thin, add 1-2 tablespoons additional flour blend.
Each serving contains 201 calories, 9g total fat, 5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 39g cholesterol, 89mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 2g protein.
Recipe developed by Madalene Rhyand, director of Gluten Free & More’s test kitchen.Yields 1 cake (24 slices)