No kneading. No proofing the yeast. No problem! This bread has great texture, perfect for sandwiches or toast. The maple syrup does double duty, adding flavor and activating the yeast. Rolls have a thick, crispy crust with an airy, slightly chewy interior.
2 cups brown rice flour, preferably super-fine grind
1 cup gluten-free oat flour
1½ cups sorghum flour or millet flour
1 cup tapioca starch/flour
½ cup potato starch
½ cup sweet rice flour
2 packages (2¼ teaspoons each) active dry yeast
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 tablespoon salt
5 eggs, room temperature
4 tablespoons maple syrup or amber agave nectar
½ cup shortening or non-dairy margarine, melted
2½ cups milk of choice (rice, soy, hemp, nut milk), warmed
to 110 to 120 degrees
1 egg white, lightly beaten with a fork (to brush tops
½ cup gluten-free oats
1. Prepare two 9-inch bread pans (or two 8-inch bread pans and 6 muffin tins) by greasing well and dusting with brown rice flour. Set aside.
2. Place brown rice flour, oat flour, sorghum flour, tapioca starch/flour, potato starch, sweet rice flour, dry yeast, xanthan gum and salt into the mixing bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment. Mix on low for a few seconds just to combine ingredients.
3. In separate bowl, hand whisk the eggs, maple syrup, shortening and milk.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Then mix for 5 minutes on medium-high speed. Batter will resemble a very thick cake batter.
5. Spoon batter into prepared pans. This recipe makes two 9-inch loaves or two 8-inch loaves plus 6 dinner rolls. To make the rolls, use a large ice cream scoop to portion the batter into 6 standard-size muffin cups; then divide remaining batter into two 8-inch bread pans.
6. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the top of the dough with egg white. Sprinkle gluten-free oats on top.
7. Let dough rise in a warm place for approximately 40 minutes or until nearly doubled in size. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
8. Place bread pans in preheated oven and bake for approximately 30 (for rolls) to 40 minutes (for loaves). Bread is done when internal temperature reads 200 degrees on an instant-read thermometer.
9. Cool bread in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on a rack.
Each serving contains 150 calories, 5g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 35mg cholesterol, 231mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 3g protein.